This theme page investigates some questions about the inner workings of all human beings. It’s looking for what is “sacred” in the universal nature of human intelligence. What is the essence of all human beings?
You may already be familiar with mystical writings and cosmic philosophy from earlier traditions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Christianity and Islam. Their wisdom is well known in the world. Added to these traditions, in the last 200 years, are sacred writings with universal import that form the basis of articles presented here.
The following are not authoritative statements, just the research of a person like yourself who wants to understand better what we humans are made of and what we are doing here.
How can Scientific Method and Spiritual Search BOTH be Rational?
Three articles compare 10 steps in the process of expanding knowledge. Scientific method operates on data from five senses. Spiritual awareness views the same five senses through a sixth that many people call intuition. You can call it what you like as you begin to recognize that both scientific method and spiritual search are rational.
1. What kind of path is it: collective and public OR independent and solitary?
2. Both paths produce knowledge that is only tentative.
3. Both paths begin by searching relevant literature.
4. Both paths use the same strategy: anticipate; take action; perceive effects.
5. Instruments of perception: five senses OR whole self?
6. Investigative techniques: intend to be neutral OR intend to cause change?
7. Both paths collect evidence.
8. Verification: by replications or by confirmations?
9. Interpretation: who says what the evidence means?
10. Both paths are focused on practical applications.
Note: These articles are reprinted with thanks to BahaiTeachings.org where they were first published.